Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Can u check my T or False Questions?

1. The Hardy-Weinberg principle states that dominant alleles will eventually replace recessive alleles.


My answer: False





2. Evolutionary forces can cause the frequency of alleles in a population to change.


My answer: False





3. Because mutation rates in nature are very slow, mutations can only change allele frequency over long periods of time.


My answer: True





4. Gene flow refers to the mixing of genes due to immigration.


My answer: False





5. An example of nonrandom mating is the self-fertilization of plants.


My answer: True





6. The fact that females often select mates because of various traits that the mates possess has the effect of changing the frequency of alleles in a population.


My answer : True





7. Genetic drift refers to a change in allele frequency because of random occurrences.


My answer: True





8. Large populations are more likely to undergo genetic drift than are small populations.


My answer: TrueCan u check my T or False Questions?
1--you are correct.





2--you are incorrect. Evolutionary forces (genetic drift, gene flow, mutation, and natural selection) do cause frequencies of alleles to change. In fact, the definition of evolution is ';a change in allele frequencies in a population over time';.





3 --you are incorrect. There are 3 other evolutionary forces that cause allele frequencies to change, and they can occur quite rapidly. When this occurs, it is called punctuated equlibrium (rapid changes interspersed by periods of stasis).





4 is a tricky one. Immigration is part of gene flow. However, genes can actually flow from one population to another without individuals immigrating. For example, a person from A breeds with a person from B and gives him a specific allele that was not present originally in B. That is gene flow (immigration). Next, that person from B breeds with a person from C and passes on that specific allele. This is also gene flow, even though the person from A never set foot in C. I guess I would have to say that 4 is false.





5--you are correct.





6--you are correct.





7--you are correct.





8--you are incorrect. Genetic drift affects smaller populations much more than larger ones.





9--you are correct.





10--you are correct.Can u check my T or False Questions?
I dont think 2 and 8 are right becuase genetic drift is a evolutionary force and it causes changes in allele frequencies (#7) and genetic drift is more pronounced in small populations because random occurnces would affect a small population more than a large one.
They look right, what would I know though. I just started studying that stuff, in honors biology.
Yup...okay, they're checked.

No comments:

Post a Comment