Monday, February 8, 2010

Question About HIV/AIDS Testing (False Negative)?

I live in Al-khobar, Saudi Arabia and I had a low risk HIV encounter. I got tested in a local clinic for HIV 1 and 2 after 10 MONTH of the possible exposure. The results took 3 days to come out and they were NEGATIVE.





1) Can I rely on the results or should I get tested once more





2) Is it possible that I may recieved a false negative..? what causes a false negative?





3) I have been having some symptoms like blocked ears,headaches dirrahea,white tongue,mild cold.......might I have HIV





I really wanna move on and forget about it...I would really appreciate qualified answers





Thnx in advanceQuestion About HIV/AIDS Testing (False Negative)?
Move on. With HIV testing if you are negative you are negative. The window period is 3 month, maybe 4.





There is a .04% chance of a false positive, but not for negative. If there was any HIV there it would have shown up.





Good Luck.Question About HIV/AIDS Testing (False Negative)?
It's most likely that you dont have it.





I hear more of false positives than negatives.





But if you want to ease your own mind, wait a few more weeks and get tested again.





=] Good luck and be safe.
You can rely on these test results. 10 months is definitely long enough to wait after possible exposure to be tested for HIV, so if your results came back negative (especially if it was a low risk encounter) then I would trust that you do not have HIV. Also, HIV testing is extremely accurate, so the chances of receiving a false negative test result are very slim. Another thing to keep in mind is that all of the symptoms you listed can occur for many other reasons besides HIV infection,so try not to concern yourself with these things too much. If you are still really concerned, then by all means go and get tested again for peace of mind. But the best thing you can do right now is to just trust your results and just try to move on and forget about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment